Featured post

If my people, who are called by my Name, humble themselves and pray (Part One)

The text, for those who have trouble with a rather individual cursive, reads as follows: Scandal after Scandal. No institution safe....

Wednesday 17 December 2014

Chanukah in John Pt. 3. First Light

It was while pondering the scriptures and Chanukah, that I received a revelation. The Lord asked me if there was an Chanukiah in John. Why? Because John had said that the light that enlightens every man is coming into the world. Did he provide proof?

After that, I had to search. But what was I looking for? Someone had to confess Jesus as Lord, God, Messiah or some such.

There had to be understanding and confession (illumination and witness).


Reading through  the gospel of John, I came to the conclusion that there were, indeed, eight lights that had been lit by the Servant. Eight occasions where someone witnessed as to who Jesus was.

This is the First Light.

 John 1: 29 - 34 ESV

29 The next day he (John the Baptist) saw Jesus coming towards him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is he of whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who ranks before me, because he was before me.’ 31 I myself did not know him, but for this purpose I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to Israel.” 32 And John bore witness: “I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. 33 I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God.”

The Chanukah menorah is placed in the window so that the eight lights will be a witness to the miracle of God's provision at the rededication of the Temple.
Similarly, our menorah is placed as a witness to the greater miracle that happened at Chanukah.
For us, it provides a time of peace in which we can pray, celebrate communion and/or meditate on all that God has provided for us through Jesus the Christ/ Yeshua  Ha Moshiach. 

Part One
Part Two

No comments:

Post a Comment